Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Tell Better Stories, Sell More Real Estate

     Can you tell a good story?  There is no better way to sell than telling stories.  There is no better way to communicate than telling stories.

     If you doubt that is true read Matthew Chapter 25 verse 14 -29.  This is Jesus telling us the story of the talents.
     14. For the kingdom of heaven is as a man traveling into a far country, who called his own servants and delivered unto them his goods.
      15. And unto one he gave five talents , to  another two and to another one. To every man according to his several ability; and straightaway took his journey.
     16.  Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same  and made them other five   talents.
     17. And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.
     18.  But he that had received only one went and digged in the earth and hid his lord's money.
     19.  After a long time the lord of those servants cometh , and reckoned with them.
     20.  And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents :  behold ,I have gained beside them five talents more. 
     21.  His lord said unto him ,Well done , thou good and faithful servant.  Thou hast been faithful over a few things.  I will make you thee ruler over many things.  Enter into the joy of thy lord. 
     22.  He also that had received two talents came and said Lord thou hast deliveredst unto me two talents.  behold I have gained two other talents beside them.
     23.  His lord said unto him , Well done good and faithful servant.  Thou hast been faithful over a few things.  I will make thee ruler over many things.  Enter into the joy of thy lord.
     24.  Then he which had received the one talent came and said , Lord, I knew thee that thou art a hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed
     25.  And I was afraid and went and hid thy talent in the earth. lo there thou hast  that is thine.
     26.  His lord answered and said, Thou wicked and slothful servant.  Thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not. and gather where I have not strawed.
     27.   Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers and then at my coming, I should have received mine own with usury.  (interest)
     28.  Take therefore the talent from him and give it unto him which has ten talents.
     29.  For unto every one that hath shall be given and he shall have abundance but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that what he hath.
     30.  And cast ye the unprofitable servant into the outer darkness.  There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

     Jesus could have just told us to "Quit being afraid and invest wisely".  He could have done that.  Who would remember that two thousand years later?  People are still telling Jesus' stories .

    Jesus told stories. Zig told stories .  All good teachers tell stories.  Good sales people are good teachers.  They teach people to want the product they are selling.

     You need to learn to tell stories.  You need to practice telling stories.  The best selling is telling stories.  When you tell a story, people put themselves in the story where they belong.  If the hero wins, the listener wins.  The hero wins if he buys your product.

     If I have a prospect that tells me the payments are too big.  I could tell them, " No they are not.  You can afford this payments".  I could do that.  I could tell this nervous prospect, You remind me of the first person i ever sold a house to, Terry and Mary Beasley.  I sold them a house in 1974 right over there off Curry Ford Road in Monterey Homes.  Terry was driving a cab and Mary was a waitress. Their payments were $205 per month.  They were currently paying $185 rent.  They said there was no way they could make those payments.  Somehow, they talked themselves into buying that house.  and attempt to make those big payments.

     Twelve years later, I was walking through the Fashion Square mall during the Christmas season.  This lady comes running across the mall and said,"Are you Ron Climer?"  I said.Yes.".  She grabbed me and started hugging me and telling me I am the most wonderful man in the world. I had to ask,"Who are you?".
She said,"I am Mary Beasley.  You sold us a house back in 1974.  We sold that house two years ago and made a $38000 profit.  We could never have saved $38,000 in a lifetime.  I am so glad that you talked us into buying that house twelve years ago.". 

     I have told that story hundreds of times to prospects that think the payments are too big.  There is a story for every occasion. 

     Learn to tell stories.  Accumulate stories.  Put people names and the dates and neighborhoods in the stories.  Put the prospects in the stories.  You don't have to put the prospects in the stories.  They will put themselves in the story.  They know where they belong. 

     Don't make stories up.  You don't have to.  There are too many true stories out there.  There is a story about any point you need to illustrate.  They don't have to be your stories. We hear stories all the time.  They could have happen to your workmates or maybe you read it somewhere.

     Use stories It is a wonderful way to sell.  How can you learn to tell good stories.  Listen to other people's stories.  Pat attention to where you place yourself in the story.  Read stories.  Read some of Jack Canfield's "Chicken Soup" stories. 

     Pay attention to things that happen.  Condense them to a short story.  Tell that story.  Pay attention to the audience's reaction.  if the reaction is good, use that story again.  If not , throw it away. 

     Don't worry about telling the same story over and over.  This audience has never heard it before.  If it is a good story that moved the last ten audiences, it will move this audience. 

     www.climerealestateschool.com  If you need a 45 hour post license class before you renew your Florida real estate license, contact us.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment